5 ideas to achieve a high-performance team
Team leadership is the key challenge for a manager. Everyone knows that results are achieved through people management but not all pay the necessary attention to the parts that form the pillars on which a rests.
Here are five things that should focus the manager’s attention:
- Clarify the mission. The mission of a team is the set of general objectives and operational principles that govern it. The first thing that the team members must know is why they have been hired and what strategy needs to be developed. This allows them to take decisions, to establish objectives and carry out tasks, thus achieving coherence and coordination.
- Manage team commitment. Commitment is the “Holy Grail” of management, the intangible element that each manager pursues as the pillar of commitment. The commitment to the mission reflects the intellectual and emotional involvement of the team and their personal contribution to success. How do you develop a committed team? By maintaining a continuous regarding for the calendar of the execution of the projects, giving and receiving permanent feedback and generating an environment of trust. These are the three basic elements which a manager must pay attention to. Commitment is a true performance enhancer.
- Maximize performance. Agility, team spirit and creativity are three key management skills in the 4th Industrial Revolution. These skills should be included in every performance evaluation. An agile team is one that is able to detect and respond to change quickly and confidently. According to the MIT Sloan Business School, an agile company produces 30% more profit and also takes 37% faster decisions. The popularization of the agile movement (Agile), born in 2001, has promoted the dynamization of the methodology of ‘ultra light methods’, emphasizing the joint approach and creativity of team members. This is the ‘team performance new framework’.
- Managing projects. Once companies accept that the management by processes is a requirement, it is necessary that agility and creativity turns into the effective management of projects. To achieve this, the manager must not only take note of the phases and monitor achievement at corresponding deadlines, but also learn and apply the latest techniques to make the team develop in a creative and agile way. Therefore, design-thinking, collective storyboarding, ‘Brain-Writing’ or ‘group sketching’ are strategies that allow proper management of project development.
- Taking care of work environment. This is an issue that is not always given the attention that it really needs. The physical workplace is a fundamental component of the team’s environment that has a great impact on their performance. However, not all managers pay the necessary attention to these elements. They should not forget that ergonomic workplaces and welfare policies contribute to commitment and performance, and have a fundamental impact on the achievement of results. It doesn’t matter if the work is carried out in large corporate offices, in a coworking space or at home of the team members; It’s essential that the professional feels comfortable and the space serves to encourage their creativity. If you need more information about how to achieve a healthy company you can read the post ‘Practical tips for achieving a healthy company’.
If the manager pays attention to the five elements above, he/she will have better possibilities of laying the groundwork for a high-performance team. By maintaining focus on the team constantly, should be part of the managers permanent agenda.
Currently is Deputy General Director at Asepeyo and vice-president of the Association for People Management and Development in Catalonia (Aedipe).
He’s also member of the Human Resources Advisory Board of EAE Business School, of the GVC-GAESCO Advisory Board, and chairs the Governing Board of Asepeyo Corporate University. He also serves on the Governing Board of APD and is a co-founder of WEKOW Business Community.